Thursday 1 July 2010

A winter's day of sunshine and cooking


It's another gorgeous winter day here on the Great Dividing Range. There are bright blue skies, not a breath of wind, but the air is bracing and there was a big frost this morning. The type of day when you just want to sit outside and soak up the warm sunshine and read a book (which is exactly where I'm going after this post!!) I hope you're having lovely weather where ever in the world you are too!

Thanks to everyone for the wishes on the show and the hints on surviving outdoor venues. Unfortunately it wasn't as successful as I would have liked - poor positioning meant no-one had reason to come near the traders area, unless they specifically wanted to have a look and there weren't too many of those! I would have been lucky to have had 100 people walk past in total over the whole weekend. But you live and learn and at least I got to see the showjumping, which was fantastic.

This means that all my work at my bench last week basically went unseen, however it holds me in good stead for two little shows I have coming up in the next month. Maybe I will take it a little easier as the children start their term break tomorrow and life is no doubt going to be busy as each of them vie for my attention. It will be time to change my name from "mum" by the end of the break I'm sure!

On the farm, the 70+ heifers are due to start calving this weekend so no doubt hubby will be in a grumpy mood for the next six weeks LOL. This doesn't always relate to problems the heifers may have, but just the general tiredness that comes from frequently checking out cow's rear ends. After six weeks it really takes it toll and hubby is due for a holiday!

I have also been doing lots of baking recently - I stumbled upon a cute little blog on 'sweet treats' (that I've since lost!) and wrote down their recipe (handed down from the blogger's grandma) for oatmeal cookies. I made them this week and the children are consuming them gusto. A neighbour's banana muffin recipe also got the thumbs up and our favourite apricot and choc chip biscuits were happily monopolised by the boys of the house. I just saw a great looking recipe on Your Cheeky Monkey for a muesli slice too which looks pretty yummy. Maybe that will be the next one I have to try out!

Well on that note, I think I will grab my book and head out into the winter sunshine. Ooops - almost forgot - the piece at the top is a bit scrumptious too - a necklace of black spinel and Kingman green turquoise faceted nuggets with silver.

Till next :)
Annette

6 comments:

ChezChani said...

At this end of the planet, it's 108 degrees, sunny and just plain too hot and too dry.

And now, you have made me want to bake. Thanks alot. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Millie said...

Aaah Annette, I've been in the same boat with Trade Shows. Position is everything. Enjoy your baking, those recipes sound fab.
Millie ^_^

Mandee said...

Wow I bet your hubby will be super tired. Maybe you all could take a little vacation when they all give birth? :)

Sorry to hear that the outdoor venue wasn't a big hit. Hopefully you will do better at the next one. :)

Veronica Lee said...

Sorry to hear about your disappointment with the show. I'm certain your next one will be awesome.

The necklace is stunning.

Have a nice day, Annette.

Cate said...

LOVE the "chunky elegance" of this necklace! Just got back from Salt Lake City, Utah and a convention, where the weather was hot but the air, dry. Such a pleasant change from the humidity of the Washington, DC area!

Additionsstyle said...

It's no fun to go through all that work for a show and then not a lot of people show up. I am sure it has happened to most of us. Those two small shows you have coming up may be better then you think, so good luck with them.

Have fun baking, everything sounds so good.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...